Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Is humanity good?

So today two events got me thinking. The first one was an article I read where 12 bystanders had seen a motorcyclist crash into a car and slide underneath. These 12 people went over and lifted the car together and pulled the young man out. They saved his life and were called heroes. Of course, none of them thought of themselves as heroes, they just said they did what they had to do. The writer of the article said that this story renewed his faith in humanity.
The second event that I witnessed today was while waiting for a minibus. I saw some young adults walking and chanting a football (soccer) chant. One guy who was standing close by decided to walk up to them and say something. When the others continued to chant, he decided to punch the one man and they began to fight. It took 3 policemen to stop them. As I thought about this in light of the first event, I began to question what faith we can really have in humanity. Of course the first story was great, but I have also heard so many more stories of people who are in danger and 12 or more bystanders remain standing and do nothing to help. I have seen and heard other instances where people will fight, hate and even kill because of a small black and white ball filled with air that you kick around a field (soccer). If people can kill over a soccer match, what significance is their life. How can a game, albeit a great game, be worth taking someone's life or even be worth violence?
Humanity has proven more often to be cruel and evil, rather than good and kind. The thought that the human spirit is a good nature, that people deep down are really good, is clearly false. There is no real evidence for this. I know that qualities of love, and kindness exist in man because of his Creator. We were made in the image of God. But we also are fallen and we have a cursed nature because of it. We need faith in God not in humanity to rescue us from our state. God help us, seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment